Wednesday, 14 August 2013

Glorious, Gorgeous and Free.

My holiday  got off to a great start - first up the Glorious 12th - a day of shooting and sumptuous food modelled on the Scottish day marking the first of the Grouse Hunting season held at one of the Wairarapas fine homesteads -Sulphur Wells. . I discovered I cant shoot for shit. However the  Rock can. As can one of my best mates who does own her own shotgun. I think I will have to stick at being somewhat of an expert in dressing feathered things.

 

The  day  progressed to the piping of the haggis, and then the quaint and often hilarious "addressing of the haggis" which was performed superbly and  I must find out who the fine gent was who carried ou  this sacred ceremony of great import.  Then it was off to dinner to dine on a dish outrageous as it was tasty - the legendary Turducken. Turkey, stuffed with duck stuffed with chicken. I was hoping for a quail tucked  up its bum but alas twas not to be. The haggis was very good perhaps not as chunky as some I have had but great nonetheless.

The wines were from Urlar and its affable owner Angus Thompson was resplendent in his kilt  with  its badger sporran . Urlars wines are some of the best in the Wairarapa - and indeed a star performer in the  Gladstone sub region. The whites in particular are flinty with considerable depth. Wines to be savoured not quaffed.

The second Wellington on a plate event  was  the  gorgeous ladies lunch. And GOOOORGOUS it was. About a 100 well coiffured women turned out to salubrious lunch. The food was from the Medici café in Martinborough  the wine from the Poppies vineyard - which is also home  to the stunning Poppies function venue. The food was some of the best I have had in a long time and it was especially impressive considering the number of  diners . Poppies Pinot Gris , in the Alsace style was  superb but at  $40 for a take home bottle a little pricy.

It was also a privilege to meet Mary Biggs of Lavenders Green Fame.  And it was great to meet so many inspiring and talented and well connnected women who keep the wheels of commerce and community turning in the Wairarapa. It will  be a must attend event next year .

and finally a good and talented friend     who stayed with me  and went to the gorgeous ladies lunch  bought me a jar of  olives she had brined herself. The interesting thing was they were from  trees planted in Roxborough St in Wellington  by the WCC for public use .  This is an idea I support. Im a great forager and  am happy to climb banks to get at an ancient  damson plum tree to get some good fruit. I noticed during my last  visit to Alexandra that someone had stripped  the crab apple trees of their scarlet winter  bounty. I was miffed I had not got there in time to get a few to make what I consider is one of natures great jelly jam fruit.