Wednesday 9 June 2010

Let it go Cameron

Over at Gotcha! Cameron Slater has blogged about his latest summons for breaking name suppression.

Cameron is a father and husband. He needs to let this issue go. It is ultimately irresponsible for a man with long term depression to put himself in harms way. It will not just be him that gets hurt it will be his family.

Cameron gets a lot of online praise and support for his campaign. He gets lots of kudos and ego massage. For a person with depression it probably makes him feel good, it becomes addictive. It is easy to rationalise continuing the campaign because it is a 'public good'.

The back patting comments on Gotcha! and Facebook are plastic support not real support. When he ends up in prison will these supporters be helping out his family ? I don't think so, he will be on his own. His family will suffer and probably are already suffering because of his obsessive campaign.

I know what this is like, I have been there, done that and know how painful the consequences are. I know how much pain it causes your family. I know how long it takes to recover.

I let my ego be massaged by people who had no 'skin in the game' , they would not & did not experience any pain when the inevitable happened.

Cameron get your ego out of the way before the inevitable happens.

6 comments:

KG said...

Bloody good advice.

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree with you more. Unfortunately, from my observations of his blogging over recent months, he has become the master of self-justification. In the meantime his family have, and doubtless will continue to pay, a heavy emotional, psychological and economical price for his obsessive need to be in the limelight.

I wish him better days, better health and some personal peace and I also congratulate you on addressing the issue to him personally, not just here.

To be well emotionally and psychologically is probably more difficult than maintaining one's physical health. Thank you for highlighting this

petal said...

Ah.

American Gardener led me here. That surprised me :)

Just wanted to say I support everything you say.

I'm just not sure you or I can get through the haze, and Cam is indeed getting a short-term payback at the cost of long term damage.

Cactus Kate said...

Interesting perspective.

Issue is that no one else can tell another person to "let it go". In my experience we get over things when we are ready - usually when something shittier happens rendering the original shitty experience less important.

Rather like telling a person to get over a bad relationship, that only happens when they meet someone they like more.

B.S. said...

Catus et al. I agree with what you all have to say. Anything I say is unlikely to make any difference. I am not prepared however to either say nothing or join the sycophantic cheerleaders watching Moby Dick swimming towards the beach.

B.S. said...

Catus et al. I agree with what you all have to say. Anything I say is unlikely to make any difference. I am not prepared however to either say nothing or join the sycophantic cheerleaders watching Moby Dick swimming towards the beach.